Its my Birthday peepleeeessssssss!!!!!!!!
I officially turn 24 today, Ripe age for marriage 😛
I am getting calls from my friends, family and acquaintances from midnight 12 AM, almost all of them wants to know if I am getting married this year.
Ok if you know I am a recently self acclaimed feminist.
After that incident I started reading more about feminism and feminists, i read articles, blogs, news, i read about moral policing, domestic violence, rapes, child abuse, taking-or-not-taking-husband’s-surname issues, dowry deaths and many more things.
Ok after reading all this now if you ask me if I am feminist, I would say NO I DONT THINK SO.
But I WANT TO BECOME ONE.
OK knowingly or unknowingly I support patriarchy and anti-feminism,
- As a teenage girl I always dreamt about marriage, children and perfect household. Loving hushand, cute children and family picnics were my image of perfect life. Sometimes it still is, I do not know if it is the lack of exposure, liberal thinking or it is normal for a girl to have these images. Though I do not have anything against live in relationships, I myself have had-having my fair share of pre-marital sex I would still want a marriage and everything that comes with it.
- I have never questioned my parents-elders on why they restrict me on various things like – why I cannot stay out after 9.00 PM, why I cannot call my male friends when I am alone at home, why I cannot speak on phone in late nights, why I cannot text my friends, why I cannot stand outside my house speak with my boyfriends, why I have to be afraid of what people talk or neighbors think about me, so on
- In the initial days of my relationship with Mr. MR Nayak i used to scribble Mrs. Lipstick Nayak (no my real name is not Lipstick) on bus tickets, restaurant bills, tissue papers, park benches, trees, leaves, sand, mud etc. Changing my surname after marriage seemed most normal thing to me, as normal as you have to pee after you drink 6 pints of beer.
- My parents approval of my boy friend was the most important thing to me, luckily they approved. I dont know If they had decided otherwise whether I would have opposed them or moved on with life blaming it on my fate. I really dont know.
- I do not do shit about all the bad things that happen around me. At the most I might just rant about the gender discrimination, violent crimes, domestic abuses. But I dont do anything to stop them, oppose them or even raise a voice against them.
So what I want to do in the next year is learn about how I can contribute, make a difference in any way that I can.
Some how I feel this turned into a pessimistic whining post, I will not edit it, this is how I am feeling right now. Tell me what you guys think about it.
Anyways it is my birthday. Happy for turning a year WISER, sad for turning a year OLDER.
I will write a proper HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY post later.